Thank you for choosing this fine handcrafted wallcovering. For the best results, we believe that a professional wallcovering installer should hang these wallcoverings. Check for any defects, damage or color variations. No allowances or claims will be accepted if goods have been cut.
Raffia is harvested, cleaned, dried, and then hand-woven. The raffia is expertly laminated with a fabric backing and finished with a stain repellent and FR treatment (Flame Resistant) for use on walls and light upholstery. The Raffia Collection is natural texture at its best.
BUILDING & MATERIAL CONDITIONS:
The building must be weather tight with HVAC settings (including pressure, temperature and relative humidity) the same as those of an occupied building for three days prior to, throughout the installation and three days after installation. The walls must be structurally sound including the elimination of sources of moisture accumulation into the wall or wall cavity. The wallcovering must be in a clean and dry condition and must be stored at normal occupied building temperature and humidity for at least three days prior to installation. All adhesives and primers must be new, good quality, commercial grade materials, which have not been contaminated.
1. The walls to be covered must be properly prepared to ensure that the wallpaper will adhere to the wall surface, even the strongest adhesive can only work when the wall surface is clean and properly prepared
2. Barbarossa recommends that installers use a hard, acrylic, pigmented, wall protecting primer that is specifically made for wallcovering installation
3. Allow the primer to dry thoroughly before hanging.
RAFFIA WALLPAPER INSTALLATION:
PRIME & ADHESIVE:
- Do not hang over a glossy or none porous area. Never hang over new plaster or unprimed wall areas. Apply lining paper where applicable
- Prime the walls with a primer specifically manufactured for wallcovering. We recommend a water-based primer when hanging darker wallcoverings, we suggest a tintable primer to match the color of the wallcovering
- We recommend a premixed heavy duty clear vinyl adhesive, which is designed to work with the primer, make sure you use a primer and adhesive that are designed to function together as an adhesive system.
- Raffia strips should be hung in consecutive order after cutting
- Install raffia from top to bottom between two plumb lines for absolute vertical alignment with minimal trim
- Press panels gently to remove any bubbles or wrinkles. Smoothing should be done from the middle to the outside edge. Trim materials at the ceiling, baseboard, windows and doors with a single edged razor blade
- It is important to keep the face of the raffia wallcovering free of adhesive.
TRIM & TIPS:
- Grasscloth strips must be table trimmed using a straight edge and a razor. A simple trick for the best installation: change blades with every trim; do not wait for the blade to dull. Also adjust your trim width to the dimensions of the wall, if possible, so you do no track drafting or blueprint tape. Do not proceed if tape leaves glue residue on the face of wallcovering Remove excess paste promptly with a dry sponge
- When applying the second panel to the wall, begin by putting the adjoining edge as tightly as possible to the preceding edge being careful not to overlap or leave gaps along the seam
- Perfect seams and shading cannot be guaranteed. Visually matching each panel will reduce and control this condition
- Gently smooth the raffia wallcovering using a plastic smoother. Do not use a seam roller.